Many things can be said about Catholics, but it can never be said that we don’t honor our Mother! In addition to the myriad feast days honoring Our Lady in her many titles and virtues, the entire month of May is especially given to her praise.
May, when the earth blooms in springtime beauty, is an ideal time for our thoughts and sentiments to be directed to-wards this supremely lovely Queen of Heaven and Earth, who busily labors from her heavenly throne to conquer hearts, minds, and souls for the greater glory of her Son.
In the words of Pope Paul VI, May is “a month which the piety of the faithful has long dedicated to Mary, the Mother of God.” So, how can you honor the Blessed Virgin Mary in a special way this month, and allow her to conquer your own heart?
- Flower your Mary statue … Make a Crown of Flowers for your Mary Statue and/or adorn your indoor and outdoor Mary statues with fresh blooming flowers this month. Add a candle too for an extra touch.
- Pray a novena to Our Lady …
- Spread devotion to the rosary … Outside of the Mass, there is no prayer more pleasing to Our Lady and more efficacious for her intercession than the Holy Rosary. If you don’t already have the spiritual discipline, make an ef-fort to pray the rosary daily.
- Learn about a new Marian devotion … This month consider researching and adopting a special devotion to Mary under one of her many titles. For ex-ample, Our Lady of Fatima (whose feast is May 13th), Our Lady of Sorrows, Our Lady Undoer of Knots, Our Lady of Guadalupe, or Our Lady of Perpetual Help.
- Share the Miraculous Medal …
- Memorize a Marian prayer or hymn … You may already know the Memorare and the Hail Holy Queen by heart, and this month you can add more Marian hymns and prayers into your mental index. These prayers and hymns become a great solace during trying moments and can be recited often.
- Get invested in the Scapular … A scapular is basically a mini religious habit for the laity, an outward symbol of your consecration to the Blessed Mother, that you wear daily underneath your clothes.
- Read a book about Mary …
- Pray the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary … The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary is like the Divine Office (Liturgy of the Hours) in that it is comprised of prayers said at various hours throughout the day, but different in that they are all in praise of Our Lady. Once upon a time in Church history the Little Office was the preferred way to pray the Hours for the laity.
How will you celebrate the month of May?
Pope Paul VI wrote a beautiful encyclical on the Month of May in which he describes how the faithful reserve this month to honor Mary in a special way: “For this is the month during which Christians, in their churches and their homes, offer the Virgin Mother more fervent and loving acts of homage and veneration; and it is the month in which a greater abundance of God’s merciful gifts comes down to us from our Mother’s throne.” Pope Paul VI goes on to say that May is an opportune time to let our petitions fly to Our Lady—especially for the needs of the Church and the whole human race—that most urgently require our Blessed Mother’s intercession.
What would you add to this list of ways to celebrate the Month of Mary?
Go to the Daily Rosary Family website for the complete article.