Safeguarding All God’s Family
The goal of the Safeguarding All God’s Family Safe Environment program is to protect our children and all in the church family from abuse and related dangers.
As part of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee’s program for creating a safe environment for all of God’s family, all parish and school employees and volunteers (18 years of age/out of High School or older, who have contact with children or youth), must complete three mandatory Safe Environment Education requirements prior to their employment or volunteering. These requirements include:
- Attending a 3-hour facilitated Safeguarding All of God’s Family Safe Environment education session
- Reading and signing a form acknowledging they have received and read the Code of Ethical Standards and Mandatory Reporting Responsibilities Policy
- Authorizing a state and national criminal background check at least every 5 years
Employees and volunteers include, but are not limited to:
- Priests, Deacons, Parish Directors, Directors of Religious Education, Principals, teachers, church and school staff, and other paid church employees
- Classroom helpers/aides, playground duty, athletic and extracurricular coaches, Girl Scout Leaders (Boy Scouts have their own approved program), field trip and retreat chaperones, Catechists/aides, Liturgy of the Word for Children, Vacation Bible School, Mission Trips, etc. Safeguarding All of God’s Family Safe Environment training is required of all volunteers, even if your profession requires you to have similar training (Doctors, nurses, police officers, lawyers, etc.)
Meeting the Requirements
The Archdiocese of Milwaukee, in conjunction with Catholic Mutual Insurance Company, has established an online program to meet these requirements and to register for a facilitated Safe Environment Session.
Go to the Archdiocese of Milwaukee’s Safe Environment page. Scroll down to “New Safe Environment Registration” and click on “Instructions.” Follow these instructions to set up your account, read the required documents, authorize a State and Federal Background Check and register for a live facilitated Safeguarding All God’s Family Safe Environment Session.
The parish Safe Environment Coordinator has the responsibility to ensure that all staff members and volunteers are compliant with the mandatory program requirements. If you have any questions, please contact the Safe Environment Coordinator at 262-377-1070, ext. 221 or send an email.