The goal of the Safeguarding All of God’s Family program is to protect our children and all in the church family from sexual abuse and related dangers.
The program is required for all of our priests, parish staff, and adult volunteers who have contact with children or youth. This includes those who volunteer at our school and in our Christian Formation program, those who chaperone field trips and retreats, etc. The archdiocese requires that all three program requirements shown below must be completed before you may begin any parish employment or volunteer with children or youth:
- Attend a “Safeguarding All of God’s Family“ Safe Environment Education session
- Read and sign the Code of Ethical Standards and read the Mandatory Reporting Responsibilities Policy
- Authorize a criminal background check every five years
Attending a Safe Environment Session
The Safe Environment Session is a three-hour facilitated awareness session about abuse and creating a safe environment. Participants must pre-register online as explained below, so that their session attendance can be verified and they will receive credit for fulfilling this mandatory requirement. Participants may attend any session that is offered, whether at our parish or elsewhere.
Additional details regarding session attendance are as follows:
- The archdiocese requires that volunteers attend a session only once.
- Volunteers who are 18 and under, including those who are still in high school, are not required to complete these requirements.
- A session must be attended even if a person’s occupation already requires this education (police officers, lawyers, doctors, and teachers, for example).
Meeting the Requirements
The Archdiocese of Milwaukee has established an online procedure to pre-register for attendance at a Safe Environment Education session, and to provide the Code of Ethical Standards.
Before starting the online process, go to the Mandatory Reporting Responsibilities page (on the Archdiocese of Milwaukee website), click on the link for the English or Spanish version, and read the document. Later (as part of the Code of Ethical Standards), you will be asked to acknowledge that you read the Mandatory Reporting Responsibilities document.
- Go to the Archdiocese of Milwaukee Safeguarding All of God’s Family website page.
- Click on the “Register” button to complete a brief form and choose the Safe Environment Session you wish to attend.
- Click on “Submit.”
- You will see the message “Thank you, your registration is confirmed.” (You will not receive any other confirmation.) You then have the opportunity to register another person — or to read and sign the code of ethical standards.
- Click on “Read and sign the Code of Ethical Standards.” IMPORTANT: Read the “Code of Ethical Standards for Church Leaders” document. Print the last page and fill out the acknowledgement form on that page. Save this completed acknowledgment to return to the parish Safe Environment Coordinator, along with your class attendance certificate.
Alternative Way to Access the Code of Ethical Standards
If you have finished your registration process and didn’t read and sign the ethical standards document, go to the Code of Ethical Standards page (on the Archdiocese of Milwaukee website), click on the link for the English or Spanish version, and read the document. Print the last page and fill out the acknowledgement form on that page.
Attend a Safe Environment Education Session
- Attend the Safe Environment Education session for which you have pre-registered.
- At the end of the session, you will receive a Class Attendance Certificate.
Authorize a Criminal Background Check
- The background consent form (“Fair Credit Reporting Act Disclosure” and “Applicant Inquiry Release”) is available from the parish office or click here to download and print.
- This form authorizes the parish to complete a criminal background check every five years. (There are no checks of credit.)
- Sign the form and return it to the Safe Environment Coordinator (address is below).
Return all of the following to the parish Safe Environment Coordinator (address is below):
- Copy of your Class Attendance certificate
- Signed Code of Ethical Standards acknowledgment form
- Criminal Background Check Consent Form (“Fair Credit Reporting Act Disclosure / Applicant Inquiry Release”) – if not already sent.
Parish Safe Environment Coordinator
The parish Safe Environment Coordinator has the responsibility to ensure that all staff members and volunteers are compliant with the program requirements. You can contact the Parish Safe Environment Coordinator at (262) 377-1070 ext. 229, or send an e-mail.
Send required materials to:
Safe Environment Coordinator
St. Francis Borgia Parish
1375 Covered Bridge Road
Cedarburg, WI 53012
For more information, see the Archdiocese of Milwaukee site for Safeguarding All of God’s Family program. This includes frequently asked questions and contact information.