SAM is a faith-based ministry to provide hope, healing and reconciliation to the people of God touched by addiction.
Our Saint Francis Borgia SAM group is modeled after the Office of Substance Addiction Ministry (SAM) established by the Diocese of Palm Beach in 1998 to assist its people touched by addiction. “Nothing can destroy a family or relationship quicker than addiction…. Education about the disease is essential.” (www.samscripts.org)
SAM’s goal is to help individuals with addictions to reconnect through:
Education – Prevention – Referral – Prayer Support
On the second Thursday of the month, the SAM ministry will provide one of the following:
- Prayer Support Group meeting / Information Night with a speaker
- Prayer Support Group meeting / Faith Sharing
- Prayer Support Group meeting
- Hope and Healing Mass
- Adoration Prayer Service
Prayer Support Group Meetings
At St. Francis Borgia parish, our SAM team serves as a bridge to God’s grace and healing by providing understanding, prayer support, information and referral to anyone seeking help.If you or someone you know has been touched by addiction, please join us as we pray for this cause. We will highly regard the sensitivities and confidentiality of all those attending this meeting.
A lending library will be available at these meetings (see Lending Library below)
Schedule of Events
August 12, 2021 (Thursday)
- Prayer Support Group
- 7 – 7:40 p.m.
- Zoom Conference (Contact information to obtain link is in the flyer.)
The SAM Core Team welcomes anyone who is afflicted or affected by addiction to come and pray. We will start the evening prayer with a scripture meditation; followed by petitions and special prayer requests from those attending. We will conclude our evening prayer with the St. Michael Chaplet, a powerful prayer for strength and protection. So please consider joining us for this special opportunity to lift up those touched by addictions. All are welcome to attend. View the flyer.
Please note: We respect the sensitivity of this topic and your personal prayers; whatever is said will remain highly confidential.
At each Prayer Support Group meeting, a lending library will be available with books, videos, literature, prayer booklets, prayer cards, pamphlets, etc., for those seeking more information on substance addiction or want to foster their spiritual growth.
In addition to other materials, the lending library will include these books:
- “Sacred Reading: The 2017 Guide to Daily Prayer” by Apostleship of Prayer, Douglas Leonard, Executive Director
- “No Turning Back: A Witness to Mercy” by Donald H. Calloway MIC*
- “Praying for Those with Addictions: A Mission of Love, Mercy and Hope” by Anne Costa
- “Addiction and Virtue: Beyond the Models of Disease and Choice” by Kent Dunningto*
- “Loved as I Am: An Invitation to Conversion, Healing, and Freedom through Jesus” by Sr. Miriam James Heidland
- “Addiction and Grace: Love and Spirituality in the Healing of Addictions” by Gerald G. May, M.D.
- The Wounded Healer” by Henri J. M. Nouwen*
- “Let the Oppressed Go Free: Breaking the Bonds of Addiction” by Cardinal Justin Rigali*
- “Breathing Under Water: Spirituality and the Twelve Steps” By Richard Rohr*
- “On the Threshold of Transformation: Daily Meditations for Men” by Richard Rohr
- “The Recovery Rosary: Reflections for Alcoholics and Addicts” by Paul Sofranko
- “The Stations of the Cross for Alcoholics” by Paul Sofranko
* Book suggested by Erik Vagenius (founder of SAM)
Elevate Community Resource Center (Jackson, WI)
Call for an “Opiate & Heroin Awareness Tool Kit: A Prevention Guide for Families”
IMPACT- United Way
Call 2-1-1 (free, confidential informational helpline – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
Ozaukee County Heroin Task Force
Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) in Southern Wisconsin
Click on mtg.area75.org/meetings.html to see a map, then click on county 24 for a list of meetings in Ozaukee County.
Narcotics Anonymous (NA) – Wisconsin Region
Website contains information about this program and a schedule of meetings in selected cities and zip codes.
-Click on wisconsinna.org.
Prayer Support and Spirituality
Prayer Support Line
Call 262-957-4081. (Please leave a brief confidential message and someone will get back to you.)
Website Links for Information and Spiritual Growth
Center for Action and Contemplation
– see Richard Rohr’s Daily Meditations.
– offers accessible articles and helpful tools for spiritual growth.
Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession)
For information on the sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) at St. Francis Borgia, including the regular schedule, see the Reconciliation (Confession) page. You can also check the website calendar or contact the parish office to confirm the date.
See the Referrals / Resources for Help page for a listing of:
- Patient and Outpatient Recovery Centers
- Residential Treatment / Sober Houses
- Catholic Providers
- Catholic Spiritual Direction
For more information, contact the Stewardship Office at 262-377-1070, ext. 327 or send an e-mail.