SAM is a faith-based ministry to provide hope, healing and reconciliation to the people of God touched by addiction.
Our Saint Francis Borgia SAM group is modeled after the Office of Substance Addiction Ministry (SAM) established by the Diocese of Palm Beach in 1998 to assist its people touched by addiction. “Nothing can destroy a family or relationship quicker than addiction…. Education about the disease is essential.” (www.samscripts.org)
SAM’s goal is to help individuals with addictions to re-connect through:
Education – Prevention – Referral – Prayer Support
On the second Thursday of the month, the SAM ministry will provide one of the following:
- Prayer Support Group meeting / Information Night with a speaker
- Prayer Support Group meeting / Faith Sharing
- Hope and Healing Mass
- Adoration Prayer Service
Prayer Support Group Meetings
At SFB parish, our SAM team serves as a bridge to God’s grace and healing by providing understanding, prayer support, information and referral to anyone seeking help.If you or someone you know has been touched by addiction, please join us as we pray for this cause. We will highly regard the sensitivities and confidentiality of all those attending this meeting.
A lending library will be available at these meetings (see Lending Library below)
NOTE: For communal prayer during the meeting, we will be using a guide book called “Sacred Reading: The 2018 Guide to Daily Prayer.” It is based on lectio divina which invites communion with God through Scripture reading, contemplation and journaling. This book can be purchased through Ave Maria Press.
Schedule of Events
Aug. 9, 2018
- 6:15-6:45 PM – Prayer Support Group meeting (North Church)
- 7:00-8:00 PM – Faith Sharing (downstairs in the Church Hall)
Faith Sharing: The Whole Armor of God – with the SAM Core Team (trained by Rich Harter)
How can we utilize what the church has to offer in spiritually protecting ourselves and our family members? In Ephesians 6:10-17, Saint Paul explains how we can be strong in the Lord by putting on the full armor of God. Everyone is welcome and we encourage you to join us as we share our faith and hope while meditating on this poetic passage which directs us to resist evil and explains how to do it. For more information, see the flyer.
Aug. 25-26, 2018
Sept. 13, 2018
Oct. 11, 2018
Nov. 8, 2018
-Speaker event – Dr. Jim Giese
Dec. 13, 2018
-Speaker event – Br. MJ and his parents Michael and Anna Marie Groark
At each Prayer Support Group meeting, a lending library will be available with books, videos, literature, prayer booklets, prayer cards, pamphlets, etc., for those seeking more information on substance addiction or want to foster their spiritual growth.
In addition to other materials, the lending library will include these books:
- “Sacred Reading: The 2017 Guide to Daily Prayer” by Apostleship of Prayer, Douglas Leonard, Executive Director
- “No Turning Back: A Witness to Mercy” by Donald H. Calloway MIC*
- “Praying for Those with Addictions: A Mission of Love, Mercy and Hope” by Anne Costa
- “Addiction and Virtue: Beyond the Models of Disease and Choice” by Kent Dunningto*
- “Loved as I Am: An Invitation to Conversion, Healing, and Freedom through Jesus” by Sr. Miriam James Heidland
- “Addiction and Grace: Love and Spirituality in the Healing of Addictions” by Gerald G. May, M.D.
- The Wounded Healer” by Henri J. M. Nouwen*
- “Let the Oppressed Go Free: Breaking the Bonds of Addiction” by Cardinal Justin Rigali*
- “Breathing Under Water: Spirituality and the Twelve Steps” By Richard Rohr*
- “On the Threshold of Transformation: Daily Meditations for Men” by Richard Rohr
- “The Recovery Rosary: Reflections for Alcoholics and Addicts” by Paul Sofranko
- “The Stations of the Cross for Alcoholics” by Paul Sofranko
* Book suggested by Erik Vagenius (founder of SAM)
Elevate Community Resource Center (Jackson, WI)
Call for an “Opiate & Heroin Awareness Tool Kit: A Prevention Guide for Families”
IMPACT- United Way
Call 2-1-1 (free, confidential informational helpline – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
Ozaukee County Heroin Task Force
Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) in Southern Wisconsin
Click on mtg.area75.org/meetings.html to see a map, then click on county 24 for a list of meetings in Ozaukee County.
Narcotics Anonymous (NA) – Wisconsin Region
Website contains information about this program and a schedule of meetings in selected cities and zip codes.
-Click on wisconsinna.org.
Prayer Support and Spirituality
Prayer Support Line
Call 262-957-4081. (Please leave a brief confidential message and someone will get back to you.)
Website Links for Information and Spiritual Growth
Center for Action and Contemplation
– see Richard Rohr’s Daily Meditations.
– offers accessible articles and helpful tools for spiritual growth.
Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession)
For information on the sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) at St. Francis Borgia, including the regular schedule, see the Reconciliation (Confession) page. You can also check the website calendar or contact the parish office to confirm the date.
See the Referrals / Resources for Help page for a listing of:
- Patient and Outpatient Recovery Centers
- Residential Treatment / Sober Houses
- Catholic Providers
- Catholic Spiritual Direction
For more information, contact the Stewardship Office at 262-377-1070, ext. 227 or send an e-mail.