Need a helping hand? Here’s a list of agencies that could help

Sometimes life throws an unexpected curve ball. If you or someone you know is facing a difficult time – due to COVID-19 issues or any other difficulty – there are many agencies and organizations that are able to help. If you don’t know where to start, contact St. Vincent de Paul and they would be glad to guide your efforts. You can reach them at 262-284-4637.

Below are just a few of the commonly used agencies in the Ozaukee County area. (Also see “Additional Information” below.)

Advocates of Ozaukee
262-284-3577 /

With a commitment to safety, respect, and compassion for individuals and families, Advocates of Ozaukee works to end domestic and sexual violence through education, prevention, and intervention services. Offers 24-hour crisis line, temporary housing and food, advocacy and counseling, emergency trans-port to shelter, etc.

COPE Hotline
262-377-2673 /

24-hour helpline providing emotional support and crisis intervention. COPE provides a helpline, educational materials and programs. Calls are answered by trained volunteer listeners. All calls are anonymous and confidential.

Family Sharing of Ozaukee
262-377-0634 /

With a mission of alleviating hunger in Ozaukee County with dignity and compassion, Family Sharing provides food, at no charge, to people in need in Ozaukee County. All donations of food are distributed directly to those who need it.

Approximately 42,000 pounds of food are distributed to 600 households per month. (Program participants are able to visit the pantry once every two weeks, and will receive enough food for that time period.)

Hope Network for Single Mothers
262-251-7333 /

Offers single mothers support from their infant’s birth to graduation. Includes cribs and layettes; Educational Grants which provide funds for college or technical school tuition, childcare while the mother attends school, or both; and a Trading Post with diapers, wipes and gently used clothing.

Huiras Family Ozaukee Community Clinic
Make an appointment: 414-326-1800, Clinic Hours: Wednesdays, 5 – 7:30 p.m.

This volunteer-based clinic serves individuals in Ozaukee County who do not have insurance and are unable to pay for basic, non-emergency clinical services. There is no charge for services provided at the clinic for those who are eligible. If specialized care is needed, the patient will be referred to a specialist who will provide healthcare services at no charge or at a discounted fee.

Interfaith Caregivers
262-376-5362 /

A nonprofit organization that provides voluntary support services to seniors, including those with limited mobility through-out Ozaukee County. Their goal is to help clients maintain an independent lifestyle.

Ozaukee Cty Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC)
262-284-8120 /

Provides information to the general public about services, resources, and programs in areas such as: disability and long-term care related services and living arrangements, health and wellness, prevention, adult protective services, care giving, transportation, home maintenance, and nutrition. ADRC staff will also provide help to connect people with Supplemental Security In-come (SSI), FoodShare, and Medicaid as needed.

Ozaukee County Department of Human Services

If you need help with bills, or information on your options, the Department of Human Services is the entry point for people applying for food share, energy assistance, heating bill help, medical assistance, BadgerCare Plus, health care, and/or child care.

Ozaukee Family Services
262-376-7774 /

This non-profit agency serves all of Ozaukee County with a mission of “Improving lives to help individuals and families succeed.” All services are free or offered on a sliding fee scale – no one is ever turned away because of the inability to pay. Programs include offerings for families, youth and seniors, as well as counseling and prevention education.

Salvation Army – Ozaukee Chapter
262-377-6400 or 262-552-6802

Programs offered include: food assistance, job assistance and emergency assistance for rent and utilities. Clothing, food, and transportation assistance may also be available.

Women, Infants and Children (WIC) nutrition program

Whether you are pregnant or have already given birth to a child, you may be qualified to enroll for a program that offers you some benefits. It is known as the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). It has assisted in the cost and success rate of pregnancies and also targets young children who are under the age of five and to the women who are breastfeeding.

Additional Services

Information about additional support groups/services can be found in the “Do you need some help?” News item. This includes:

  • St. Vincent de Paul
  • Lumen Christi Employment Network
  • SAM (Substance Addiction Ministry)
  • COPE Hotline
  • Energy Assistance of Ozaukee